three pets, two girls, one crazy life

10.08.2008

Perhaps ill advised...

I've just discovered how to link my blog to other people's--yes a little behind the curve, but I don't spend that much time playing around on the internet. So, I've linked Laura's website. We know (well, mostly she knows) from past experience that linking blogs isn't all together a great idea.

Once, in my early days of webposting, when I didn't realize there were so many douchebags on the internet, I made a post on my brand new blog. I never imagined anyone who didn't know me would read it--and some of it was IRONIC. It was a little over-the-top, but supposed to be funny, to my friends.

Laura thinks my mini-editorial (which was about Target refusing to perscribe the morning after pill) is funny and links to it from her website. Next thing you know one of those internet douchebags reads it and writes a comment comparing me to Rick Santorum. (if you don't to click on the link, let me fill you in--Rick Santorum thinks gay people are a threat to society and families). Now, I viewed this comment as pretty homophobic--I certainly wouldn't compare a black person to David Duke. Laura, who knows this person, insists that while the comparison was in poor taste, it wasn't meant to come out quite as homophobic as it did. Whatever the intent of the commenter, it was certainly not very nice and has forever colored my views on the person who decided--for whatever reason--to make it.

The point of my little story is that in reading and perhaps commenting on/or about (--although god knows ya'll never comment on my own webpage....) things written on websites that I link to don't say mean things. Or things that could be construed as mean. Because it sucks, because I don't want anyone being mean to my friends --even if you think what they said was stupid, and because people should be nicer to each other anyhow.

No comments: