three pets, two girls, one crazy life

3.01.2009

and then I said..what do you think: I'm Tina Fey on 30 rock and you're Oprah?

This weekend, I was back in Washington D.C. for a very exciting Supreme Court dinner with my friend Melissa. It was very fancy, very delicious, and very exciting because I had close encounters with three justices: Scalia, Stevens, and Gisburg AND THEN....I SAT AT THE SAME TABLE WITH JUSTICE SCALIA FOR DINNER. He sat two people over from me for the WHOLE dinner (his wife was across from me) and WE TALKED!
I'm glad I was able to talk at dinner.  At the cocktail hour beforehand, I was speechless when Scalia drifted over and joined our cocktail hour table (one of those tall standing tables).  My friend Melissa had pointed him out.  When he continued walking over I just stared at him.  He probably thought I was insane.  After I kept staring at him, he did ask me: "who are you and why are you here..."  It was like seeing Shrek come to life or something.  Anyhow, when he saw that we were at the same table, he did come around and touch my shoulder and say hi.  Also at our table was Miguel Estrada--who is just as you might imagine him to be.  Also--the HEAD of the AO was at our table!  He is from Kentucky--close to where I am from.  It was a pretty rockin' table.

Then, at the end of the evening came the point where I asked him if he thought I was Tina Fey on 30 Rock and he was Oprah.  That left him speechless. I blame Carrie for this entire event.  She was the one that encouraged me to watch that show.  My comment came after Scalia offered to let me touch him again--after I told him how glad I was to have met him.  It just kind of slipped out.  He laughed.  Then, Melissa asked if anyone had ever compared him to Oprah.  He said that the only difference between the two of them was that she could keep weight off and he couldn't.  It was a pretty fun evening.

I also visited the Newseum and saw lots of fun things (like the berlin wall and this piece of the top of the world trade center--more on this tomorrow)




The most fun of the visit was seeing my friend Melissa.  Here we are, looking like retards, on Roosevelt Island.  I know that Melissa will like this picture just as much as the one from my last visit to DC.  We also visited the medical oddities museum--and saw world's largest human hairball and lots of other gross stuff (more on that tomorrow too..)  And we went to the natural history museum.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Had I known you were going to make such an ass of yourself, I never would have mentioned 30 Rock to you. :)