Yesterday Laura and I went to Portland's City Club with a friend of mine (who is pressuring us to join because it "really needs young people") and watched the debate between the two candidates for Oregon's Attorney General. We had a front row table (as our friend is a very established member of City Club)--we were right by the giant law firms that all buy tables at City Club. I watched one woman massage her crackberry throughout the entire debate--signaling to all those around her that she could barely tear herself away from her important work. I've noticed similar massages of blackberrys during my Federal Bar Association Board meetings (Melissa, you don't know what you are missing by attending by phone). I've decided I must get a crackberry to massage. Of course, I would use it for checking personal e-mail, abovethelaw and perez hilton..... Which is probably what everyone else is using their's for.
I also realized I must get far more restrictive. One of Laura's co-workers asked Laura yesterday if I was mad that Laura traveled so much and told Laura that her husband would divorce her if she traveled so much. Hmm. Apparently said co-worker asked her husband about doing 3 weeks of field work in South Carolina and her husband said NO. None of this has ever occured to me......I told Laura that I definately need to look into getting more restrictive. She told me if I did that, she would no longer cook bacon sandwiches. So, I guess she will continue to be a free agent.
But seriously, who would even consider acting like that to their significant other? Of course, I miss Laura when she travels, but I've known all along that she liked to travel. Just the same way she knew that I loved bacon, fried food, and basketball and she works around that.
No comments:
Post a Comment