And this is my hot little hunk of burning love wrangling lava--this picture doesn't really add much to my story, but I just like it....

As a family, Laura and I have shared money, shared bills, a house payment, and shared pets. We make decisions together--like we decided together that she would transfer to pdx with her company and I would quit my big fatty gov't job so we could move to a larger city where we hoped we would both be happier. Most important, I love her; more than I can put into words (and that must be a lot given that I generally talk all the time..can't hardly stop). I'm so lucky to have someone in my life that I can't wait to see every night after work, laugh with, and can't imagine being without (even when she drives me crazy)!
But of course, we can't get married--because if we did, I guess the world might explode and for certain all different-sex-marriages would be instantly ruined. How fucking stupid. But, I guess that's what the people in California, Arizona, and Florida must think. (I wonder how many different-sex-marriages were harmed during the 4 odd months that same-sex marriage was legal in California--and I don't really see different-sex-marriage imploding in MA either). So, instead of being able to get married, our rights are in constant flux--depending on where we are. Here in Oregon, I have the right to come into an ER should laura be injured; when we go to Tennessee for Christmas, it's not so certain. How fair is that? We'll have to carry a medical heath care power of attorney with us--just in case. Can you imagine your loved one lying in an ER while you negotiated with staff and showed them your medical health care power of attorney?
Of course, we can't jointly file federal tax returns; qualify for only the single person's $250,000 tax free if we sell our house (as opposed to the $500,000 we'd get if we were married); we're not eligible for each other's SS benefits, so we have to make special arrangements to pay for life insurance; oh, and we're subject to federal gift taxes for items that add up to $12,000. Of course, denying us all these benefits preserves the marriages of heterosexuals. Makes perfect sense.
It's certainly ironic that last Tuesday we took one giant step forward for equality in this country and also took one giant step back in California with the passing of Prop 8. The catholics (through their "political arm") donated 1.5 million dollars to make sure that same-sex marriage was abolished in California. how christian. I am sure that jesus would be proud. I am sure that with all the horrible things going on the world god is really concerned about two people who love each other having equal rights.
If you've got to believe in a mythical being, the least you could do is not be a fucking douche-bag and force your views on everyone else. I have faith that someday soon things will change; that people will be able to stand up and do the right thing and stop discriminating against gay people. I just hope that day come soon (because I'll be really mad if some religious fanatics benefit from my SS contributions and laura doesn't).
1 comment:
I just don't even know how you guys keep your shit together without bombing a church or something. It's so infuriating! I know heterosexual couples my age who have been either married and divorced already or are in unhappy marriages. And you and Laura are seriously one of the best couples I've ever seen. But yeah you can't get married because HELLFIRE WOULD RAIN DOWN ON THE WORLD.
Post a Comment