We bought some lettuce from the farmers market a couple saurdays ago. The lettuce looked great, and I had a couple salads from it. I did notice some weird little organicky looking black things on the lettuce, but didn't think much of it. I should have; it was a portent of what was yet to come. My third salad in, I pulled off a couple leaves and washed them in the sink. After arranging my washed leaves in my bowl......THEN........I saw this:
In. my. sink. It had been living in, eating, and crapping in my lettuce! It had survived in my refridgerator for 4 days! All I can say is thank GOD that I did not eat, taste, or put any part of that thing in my mouth! I immediately threw out ALL the lettuce and the slug and emptied the trash can. Hope the slug is enjoying the pickings at the portland dump.
If that wasn't enough to cure me of my love of fresh grown things, I had another incident this morning. I had just arrived at the death star and settled in to work.(here is the death star--the ultra-modern federal courthouse in eugene. Looks like the death star...huh?)
Anyhow, I had just settled in at the death star and told my lettuce story to my co-worker. She told me that the judge we both work for, who has a very large garden, had brought some of his lettuce in recently. When he was washing it in the sink, my co-worker observed a very large cloud of bettles rising from the lettuce and settling on the wall of our kitchen. UGGHHH.
So, it's only pesticide coated fruits and veggies for me from now on.
2 comments:
Better living through chemistry, I always say. Stasia
I think I just threw up a little bit. Eww. Mfufh. I'll be sure to send some chemicals your way.
Post a Comment