three pets, two girls, one crazy life

6.22.2007

Powell Butte Park: where we hike, run, and mountain bike....



I

View of Mt. Hood
As you can see Powell Butte Park has an impressive view of Mt Hood and a view of active volcano Mt. Saint Helens. So, next time it erupts, we will have a prime viewing area.



View of Mt St. Helens. (notice the top is blown off)

There are many great features about this park--shaded trails, lots of up and down hill, not very crowded, and an implicit understanding that dogs will often be unleashed; however, one of the best features is that it is TWO miles by bike trail from our house and maybe 2.5 miles driving. I was totally amazed to discover such a park this close to where we live. We have not had a chance to check out the other park in the city (forest park) which is supposed to be great. Unfortunately, forest park does not allow mtn biking on most trails, which is a bummer, but we'll see what it's like.


Piishka admiring Mt Hood in the distance
Many of the trails look like this, but there are also quite a few single track trails. I never imagined that such a park would be available so close to the city. But, I guess that is why we spent so much time studying Portland as a model green-space city in Land Use in law school!


No comments: