three pets, two girls, one crazy life

6.19.2008

Finally....

Finally, we have completed our move to Oregon. As most of you know, we managed to stretch it out over a year. First, we had to find a place to live and move to OR in one week--result of job benefactor finding me a job that "I would be foolish to refuse" (and this was said with narrowed eyes as said benefactor looked at me over said benefactor's glasses--needless to say, I didn't refuse). Of course, we found a house in SE Portland, which resulted in the soul-crushing bus ride to work every day.

I found salvation from that misery when we moved downtown to see if we "really wanted to buy a place here." That move was one of the stupidest that I have ever done (not in terms of where we moved, but how we did it). We moved the critical essentials with us to our mini-downtown rental. We moved the non-essentials down to Eugene to store them at Laura's parents' house--because I thought it would be cheaper. The first part of our move to the downtown condo was done in the rain. One of the highlights was when I fell off the uhaul.... The second part of our move (loading the stuff to take to Eugene) was done with the assistance of our recovering-from-giant-hangover friend. Let's just say that it did not go fast and involved a Chinese-fire-drill type exercise of loading/unloading a washer dryer a couple of times. The final part of that move was down to Eugene in the "100 year snowstorm." At that point, I was convinced that I was going out in a blaze of glory because I was driving the uhaul, with all our stuff over bailey hill road, which was covered with snow, and I had a propane tank in the cab beside me. By the grace of god, I am somehow still alive. But, I am still fighting with u-haul for overcharging us....

Then, we quickly decided that we liked living downtown and bought a place--right above the place we were renting. This time we invited sober and ultra-competitive friends to help us move. They rushed in, picked up all the heavy things and it seemed that we were done in about an hour.

We finally finished our whirlwind moves this past weekend when we went down to Eugene to pick up our stuff from storage. This time, we got a penske truck, because I am still mad at uhaul. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We got our stuff moved in and assimilated pretty fast. And, once again, despite a few little tiffs, we managed to stay together through yet another move!!

Our excess stuff from our move did spark a little craig's list drama, which I will detail in my next post....

No comments: